US Passports


To obtain a U.S. Passport you must provide the following:

  • Proof of Citizenship (certified birth or original naturalization certificate---all minors are REQUIRED to submit a birth certificate to prove parental relationship.)

  • Valid picture identification (Driver's License or State I.D.)

  • One 2" x 2" passport photos (white or light background.) (Photo may be taken at the parks office for a fee of $15).

  • Passport Application - available at Parks Department office or you can download the form HERE.  Please print the application on two separate pieces of paper, and complete in Black ink pen. Do not use white out if you make a mistake.   Apply in person at the parks office.

  • Further Information - U.S. Passport Website

Passport Fees
Effective July 13, 2010
(Passport Form DS-11)
** Check or Money Order only **

Fees Paid to US Department of State** Age 16+ Under 16
Passport Book Fee $110 $80
Passport Card Fee $30 $15
Expedite Fee (Additional) $60
Overnight Mailing Fee (Optional) $15.45
Fees below are paid to the Parks Department ~ may be cash (correct change only) or a separate check, money order, or credit card
Processing Fee $25
Photograph $15
Overnight Mailing Fee (Optional) $23.75

** Check or Money Order only **
Fee paid to Ingham County Parks - must be cash (correct change only) or a separate check, money order, or credit card.

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

Areas that fall under the WHTI:
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Bermuda
  • The Caribbean region (includes 17 regions)


ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

    U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

  • LATER:
    As early as June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.


  • U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.

  • The Passport Card: U.S. citizens may apply for a wallet-size passport card. Passport Cards are only valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.

  • WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:

    • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)

    • State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available)

    • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)

    • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders

    • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business

    • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card

    • Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border protection.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.

The goal of the initiative is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

  • DISCLAIMER - The above requirements can change at anytime. Please verify requirements at

Renewal Passport Fees
Effective July 13, 2010
(Passport Form DS-82)

You may use this form if you meet all of the following:
You can submit your most recent passport, your previous passport was issued on or after your 16 birthday, and was issued within the past 15 years.
For fees for renewal applications visit this link:

Hours of Operation

For more information call:
(517) 676-2233

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday

8:30am to 12:00pm
Closed 12:00-1:00pm
1:00pm to 4:00pm

8:30am- 12:00pm
Closed 12:00-1:00pm
1:00pm- 3:00pm

Contact Us:
Mason Office
Hilliard Building
121 E. Maple Street, Suite 102
P.O. Box 178
Mason, MI 48854
Phone (517) 676-2233
Fax (517) 244-7190