Potter Park, treasured by area residents for nearly a century, offers a place for relaxation and leisure along the banks of the Red Cedar River. The park, situated in a mature oak woodlot, preserves a valuable piece of the natural environment in Michigan's capital city.
The 85 acres of land donated in 1915 and 1917 by James W. and Sarah Potter, to be used as a public park, and noted to be one of the earliest parks established in Ingham County, continues to serve our community today. J.W. and Sarah Potter joined a nationwide trend to conserve parklands for future generations.
Established in 1915, Potter Park is noted as one of the earliest parks established in Ingham County. If one pauses for a moment, it is easy to imagine the early part of the 20th century when ladies with parasols and gentlemen in top hats disembarked from a horse and buggy or Ford Model T to enjoy an afternoon stroll in Potter Park.
Since 1920, beautiful Potter Park has been the signature entryway to visitors of Potter Park Zoo. Stop by to enjoy an afternoon with us!